Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Teacher Spotlight: Liz Wood


Staying the Course: My Track Cycling Adventure

  Recently, I had one of those really big days in life.  I became the national champion in the 2K Pursuit and won the silver in the 500m Time Trial at Masters Track Nationals in Carson, CA. It was a pretty exciting time for me, no doubt, but what I want to share with you is how it came to be.  It was a curiosity that led to an opportunity, then a commitment, a steep learning curve, a whole lot of discomfort and mistakes, consistent questioning and doubt, but ultimately to preparedness and triumph.  

  A year ago, I didn’t race bikes. I'd never ridden a track bike. I didn’t know what a velodrome was or know the first thing about track racing. While I have been on-again, off-again “active” all my life, I hadn’t truly competed in a sport in 30 years. One day I signed up for a bike racing team!!!  It felt random, and it was, but I took the leap. I started riding, getting stronger and meeting a bunch of great people. A friend sent me info on an upcoming class to learn to ride at the velodrome, which is a banked circular track. How hard could it be, I thought and signed up. When I arrived at the class, I learned that track bikes have no brakes!  Yikes! Also, I learned that track bikes have a fixed gear, so there can be no coasting. If the wheels go around, the pedals go around. It wasn’t going to be “just like riding a bike” after all. It was going to be much more intimidating, but also exciting. Over time, I learned the basics but was told that my form and efficiency could use some improvement. So I found myself in a Wattbike class in an effort to learn more about cycling technique and increase my power on the bike.  

  The class was run by a coach who trained very high-caliber international Pro, Elite and Olympic level athletes (not middle-aged moms like me).  I was way out of place but knew that I stood to learn a lot. The workouts were hard and I gave them everything I could, often breathing so loudly that others would comment and laugh about it.  It was a huge shock when one day the coach expressed an interest in training me...the newbie...to go to Nationals in just a few months time. Gulp! Now I was sure he, too, had lost his mind. After all, I still knew nothing about racing and I was that middle-aged mom.  It made no sense, but it was a huge honor and opportunity, so I put my fears and overwhelming sense of inadequacy aside and committed. 

  In addition to the crazy-hard workouts, I had to learn everything about track cycling from the ground up. I had to learn to work on my bike, change out the fixed gears, do standing starts, ride a 333m track and a more slippery, steeper 250m track, race tactics for my different events, training protocols, etc.  The list went on and on. I never knew what I was doing. I often had to swallow my humiliation and ask an unsuspecting stranger to help me with one thing or another that I couldn’t do with my bike. This was the scene over and over. All through the summer, I raced and lost. I made mistake after stupid mistake.  I felt like an imposter...like I had no business being a part of this sport, training with these athletes or taking my coach’s time. But I kept showing up because I had committed and I wanted to see it through. So I focused. I made every effort count. Somewhere along the way, I received an invaluable piece of advice: to trust the process. I took this to heart. Little by little I learned what I needed to know, I got stronger and faster and the pieces came together.  It was an amazing experience that taught me to pursue curiosity, embrace opportunity and get comfortable being uncomfortable.      

I am hoping that by sharing my story I will embolden others to dare greatly in their own lives.

Mrs. Wood




No comments:

Post a Comment